Middlebury Alums

a collective blog for keeping in touch. If you'd like to author, contact Josh or Miranda, or comment on a post! Thanks

Sunday, September 6, 2009

lately (Miranda)

After two-ish weeks of slightly infuriating Americorps training, I finally started work last week. Much of Americorps training just felt like a waste of time, to be perfectly honest. A full day of team bonding, really?? The government is paying for this... really? Dyad conversations every five minutes?? I decided I needed to try and relax during the retreat, so after the ropes course, swimming pool, talent show, and a rather large game of mafia, which I won by the way, I had my tarot cards read. Amanda, my roommate read them for me. Let's just say that I got a lot of major cards including the Wheel of Fortune, the Hierophant, and Death. Great. Don't tell my mother that I had my tarot cards read. I told her, in an off-hand way, that someone was reading tarot cards during the retreat, and she made me promise not to do it, and then kept saying that it was the work of the devil-- I swear my mom's not crazy though.
Work is nice. I have a desk and I have business cards with my name and occupation and email printed on them and everything. As I was setting up my desk, I almost dropped a printer, which was scary, but aside from that it was all pretty smooth. At the moment I'm having a guilty time asking the interns to do things for me, but they're so eager and great. I keep having to stop myself from saying-- I was an intern, too! all the time.  
Meanwhile, the weather has been schizophrenic.  The other day I went to the beach and tanned.  Last night I was stuck in some fog that was trying really hard to become rain.  I've begun writing again, which is great, and I've also taken up this thing called reading that I forgot about for the past few years. (I think the last book I read for fun was Everything is Illuminated) I'm reading The Bell Jar as of yesterday though I have the feeling it will be done by today. I think that's a book people read in high school.
I'm also finally getting around to reading more Dean Young, Charles Simic, and Phil Levine. Basically my poetry reading list at the moment is people I've met but never fully appreciated because I was lazy and didn't read much. I'm catching up now. Next on the list is Bukowski because I picked up a book of his at Green Apple and it intrigued me. I truly wish someone in my immediate family or friend circle had loved poetry while I was growing up because I feel completely new to everything and don't know where to begin. If anyone wants to recommend me their favorite poets/ poems or even ones you think are striking, I'd be eternally grateful. I'm a fan of Sharon Olds and Li-young Lee and Gary Snyder and William Bronk. I want to be a fan of many more people. 
Oh, can I also say that I'm psyched for Where the Wild Things Are?  In excitement, I'm reviving the yeah yeah yeahs on my itunes.
much love, Miranda
by the way, this is turning into my own blog. I'd love to hear from you.. or YOU.

3 comments:

  1. hey miranda, this is a great idea, and i'm about to do something interesting next week, so i'll def. send that your way once said interesting stuff (fashion week, road trip, new orleans in hurricane season) takes place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this is a fab idea. i will try to contribute something. life on the rez is too absurd not to share.

    it sounds like your life is awesome...yay. i'm trying to get to san fran within the year to visit all you midd folk that relocated there. i miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome guys! emmeline, please do, it all sounds interesting. Ruby, if you come to sf, give me a call and I bet the reservation is quite an experience.

    ReplyDelete