Middlebury Alums

a collective blog for keeping in touch. If you'd like to author, contact Josh or Miranda, or comment on a post! Thanks

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Colorado Update (Chris)

Here's the news from Colorado. Miranda, I'm sorry I didn't post something earlier, but I didn't feel like I had much to show for my job yet.

Well, I finally do have something for y'all to look at: www.voteyes1a.org, a website for the campaign I'm working on "The Yes on 1A - Energy Smart Campaign." It's not much, but dammit, it took a shit-ton of time to make (and to haggle with the Indian web help guy for the British web hosting company over) It probably didn't help that I have an unhealthy obsession with margins...not like those kind of things don't totally go out the window once the page goes online.
I'm scheduled to talk to the local electric utility, Holy Cross Energy today and get them on board. (no worries, no religious affiliation there, its just named after a mountain that has a giant snow cross on the front of it and was a pilgrimage site in the 1890s. John McWilliams actually gave a lecture all about it Junior year, I think. Did any of you go to that? Here's the famous photo by William Henry Jackson, which turned out to be doctored very slightly--the right side of the cross piece isn't actually that perfect...)

Oh tangents, a hazard of blogging I guess. Anyways, I need an endorsement and donation from them. It's a nice to be downvalley rather than up at the office in Aspen. I feel like I spent the entirety of yesterday responding/sending email-- I thought college was bad... Not as many inane club emails, but I actually have to respond to every message now in a timely manner.
Otherwise I've been up in the mountains most every weekend and the Colorado fall color is dawning upon us here. The fall color here is different than in Vermont. There is essentially only one type of deciduous tree in the mountains here: the Aspen. So instead of the fiery patchwork of color (or as some uncharitable Westerners might deem it, the cat food melánge) of Vermont, Colorado offers the glowing, unified, distilled sunshine of the Aspen leaf. It would be nearly impossible to say which fall color I like more.
We got our first good Vermont-grade dousing of rain in months here last night, and high on 12,953 ft. Mt. Sopris, the sentinel that stands south of Carbondale, that meant the first visible snow of the fall. For me it hasn't been the first snow of the season, but rather the fourth. The Wind River Mountains of Wyo. offered its first clobbering on Aug. 7th and then a full-on blizzard with knee high drifts on Aug 15th--which happened to be the day we needed to walk the ten miles out over a ~10,000 ft. pass. That was fun...
Anyways, the scenery has been refreshing, the weather unbelievable--I had kind of been inoculated to the misery that is Vermont weather--and the job is great. The only missing part is you all. Most of my high school friends either haven't made it through college in four years, are elsewhere, or just aren't that interesting to talk to--particularly when compared with the stunning pantheon of minds and states of inebriation that you all present.
Cheers,
Chris

4 comments:

  1. hi chris! all seems pretty well! your talk of the wind river mountains reminds me of my month out there in high school when i did NOLS... what a romantic time. it snowed for us there, too. crazy mountain weather... actually i'm wearing my nols shirt right now. weirrrd

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool, chris. sounds like you're getting a good intro to political organizing. have you been meeting voters, hearing their thoughts? does there seem to be support for it? Who's opposed to it? Jisham would be proud.

    in other news, it sounds like you've got your hands full trying to appreciate the beauty of the rocky mountain fall. sounds romantic, as miranda noted, though i think i can wait a few months before i'm ready for snow. I'm just now getting excited for the fall squash and pumpkin lineup at the morningside farmers markets, the falling horse chestnuts in riverside park and chilly strolls through the north woods of central park.

    anyways, great to hear from you.

    p.s.--have you tried sledding down the mainstem of the Holy Cross mountain? looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris said... You would die, josh.

    And no, there is not opposition yet. There aren't really any good reasons not to support it--no tax increase, voluntary district, energy independence--unless you just don't like the government.
    Forgot that you did that miranda. Did you go to grave lake? Washakie? Southfork lakes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. um, the lakes I remember were valentine and little valentine lakes. cute, huh? i also remember crossing the great divide or something... water to the west flows to the pacific, to the east to the atlantic.
    needless to say, i'm jealous. : ) i know you're doing something you're truly interested in and it can't do anything but take you down a good path. good job chris!

    ReplyDelete