Middlebury Alums

a collective blog for keeping in touch. If you'd like to author, contact Josh or Miranda, or comment on a post! Thanks

Friday, August 28, 2009

Slave Labor and Cannibals (Blakely)

I wouldn't say that I'm a supporter of cannibalism exactly, but if the practice looked anything like this I think that I would be able to turn a blind eye. Hypotheticals of cannibalism aside, I've started the arduous decision-making process of packing before I head out to DC on Wednesday. How many pairs of socks will I need to make it through December? More importantly, as an unpaid intern will I be able to afford laundering that many pairs of socks? Decisions, decisions.

For those of you not in the know (or those of you I don't know) I've accepted an unpaid internship at the Foundation for Middle East Peace in Washington DC. FMEP is a small non-profit, which aims to promote a just and equitable solution (read, two-state solution) to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The Foundation promotes this agenda by monitoring Israeli settlement activity in reports and databases, by sponsoring events and speakers, and by funding a grant program that supports organizations and individuals making concerted efforts to resolving this age-old conflict. I'll be doing a variety of things for FMEP, but primarily I'll be working on research.

In the meantime I'll be savoring the last drops of freedom and non-indentured servitude here in California. This translates to copious amounts of wine consumption, Green Wing watching (you know it, Miranda), hypemachining (or, shaking about to a crazy cumbia beat), and looking for a place to live in DC on craigslist. For this latter bit, if any of you biddies are well versed in the DC housing market and have some hot tips/suggestions/extra space in your apartment give me a holler.

Peace, Love, and Barbecue

Blakely

No comments:

Post a Comment